Supracity Publishing LLC

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Why do we do what we do?

         I just received an email from someone who signed up to receive emails from me at one of my book signings a while back asking me to not send him anymore emails about my topics of discussion. It made me think about why I am doing this. Are these topics of help to others? I don't know. I get a smattering of views, nothing to write home about. So what is the reason for all of this work I'm doing? It started in the hopes of selling more books and the belief that those who would be interested in reading my blogs would also be interested in buying a book from the same author. But there hasn't been any upsurges in book sales since the blogging started. So I came to this crossroads of sorts. Do I continue blogging or just drop the whole thing.
        I have decided not to send out any more emails about the topics. Those on my email list know about the site by now and if they want to keep abreast of what I have to say they can sign up and follow. So, why am I doing this? If it makes a difference in one person's life then is it worth all of the effort? If someone takes something away from one of these topics is it worth spending an hour everyday?
      Every morning I sit down at my computer with a cuppa' Joe in hand and stare at the screen and wait for "inspiration" if you would call it, to come forth. An idea pops in my head after a minute or two and I'm off to the races.
       I guess it comes down to this, if I am doing all of this to just make money, then I shouldn't waste anymore of my time. If I am doing this because it is what I do, then I should continue as long as there is one person listening. A lady the other day bought my book at a Williamsburg signing, three days later she left a message on my cellphone telling me that my book helped her through a rough patch and she wanted to personally thank me for writing my book.
"Do what you love and the money will follow." A great quote, but the money part is sure taking its own sweet time!
     There is another saying. "All good things come to him who waits."
     Herman Melville died penniless and considered himself a literary failure. The man who is a legend today, the man who wrote Moby Dick died in desperation when he looked back at his life. How many times do we start an endeavor only to quit because in our heads we figured it wasn't working. What if we stayed the course a little longer instead of throwing in the towel at the first sign of trouble? That email was a wake-up call for me, a message saying to me why are you doing this?
     I am doing this because I believe in the messages and I believe in my book. If one person called to let me know that my book helped, then maybe there are others who it also helped, but never called. Richard Bach's books Jonathon Livingston Seagull and Illusions were a huge inspiration to me, but I never contacted him. Hmmm..... Maybe I am doing this as much for me as you. Why do we do what we do? That is a question each of us should ask ourselves now and again. The answers you get may surprise.

Nameste'

Barry Brown, Author and National Speaker
"A Journey to Balance - Making Sense of It All."

No comments:

Post a Comment